Pages

Saturday 21 September 2013

This and That

It's hard to believe that the first three weeks of school have already flown by.  Getting adjusted to a new school year always takes a few weeks but I am finally feeling like we're getting things moving in my classroom.  I've been trying a few exciting new things this year and can't wait to show you want we've been up to.

1. 20% Time -  I had heard about this project but never attempted it myself.  Thanks to the inspiration I found over at Education Is My Life over 120 students are partaking in this amazing project at my school this year.  I teach French Immersion and Extended French(late immersion), so all the work is being done en français and so far I am so impressed with their amazing ideas!  We have projects of all kinds just getting underway, everything from learning ASL to creating how to videos for all kinds of things(origami, DIY projects...etc), to photography projects and even research projects on special areas of interest such as the history of pirates.  My students are excited and so am I.  There is a buzz of work going on whenever they are in 20% time.  I can't wait to see where these projects take us.



2. Interactive Student Notebooks - I decided that in history, we would use interactive notebooks.  So far, I am really enjoying it.  However, students are struggling with grasping what to do on the left side of the notebook.  I gave my first open ended left page assignment last week and got mixed results.  I am sure that as we learn more about the notebooks and I show them more exemplars that their pages will improve.

Personalizing their notebooks





Left side pages, it's a start we'll get there.  
We need to work on this some more and I need to model it for them again. 


Title page for our first unit

Overall, I am very happy with the notebooks.  Like everything we do it takes time, patience and practice.  I look forward to seeing how they improve throughout the year.  

What have you been up to so far this year?  Have you jumped into anything totally new to you? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!

BLOG TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS